Wednesday, August 1, 2012

On Canada's Men's 8+...

I used to be a competitive rower. I started rowing when I was 12 or 13, I can't quite remember now. Anyway, I like to think I was decent, I went to the 2001 Canada Summer Games, and also won a bronze medal at nationals. Then I went on to row in my first year of university. Ultimately, I quit because of the time constraints. I couldn't pursue my engineering education AND row at the same time. Anyway, that's a little background to let you know why I am so unbelievably excited for Canada today!

The Canadian mens 8+ winning a silver medal is not in and of itself a huge surprise, we (by we, I of course mean Canada) are no strangers to this event, having won the gold medal in 2008. However, this particular crew is completely different from 4 years ago, with only 3 members from Beijing returning to compete in London.

After coming last in their heat (I was completely shocked by the way...), they had a noticeably better race in the semi-final to push on through to the final, but still, they didn't come 1st, so I was pretty concerned, and I didn't actually think they would win a medal. I was so incredibly ELATED to watch the race today! What a race! Close right to the very end.

Guys, I actually cried seeing them win silver. I got so emotional!!! I just started thinking about what it would feel like to be them. To have done something so few of us get to experience! It must just be awesome. So proud of them :) Has this ever happened to anyone else?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

No way you used to row competativley, that is awesome!!!! :) xx

Unknown said...

Wow your arms must be killer! That is something that I have always wanted to try. Don't you just feel more connected to the Olympics when you did the sport?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...